Archive

Archive for April, 2010

Eyjafjallajokull

April 19th, 2010 No comments

As you’ve probably heard, most of the air traffic in Northern Europe has been crippled by the Icelandic volcano that erupted last week. Two items of interest sparked my mind when I caught wind of this news: firstly, being stranded while traveling really sucks, but this is probably one of those times when it may actually be legitimate; secondly, how the heck do you pronounce the name of the volcano.
The aviation regulatory agency in Europe is really in a pickle because, on the one hand, you have really angry travelers who do not understand why flights aren’t allowed because of a little dust; on the other hand, you have businesses complaining because they are losing millions in revenue with each passing hour; meanwhile, the effects of prolonged sandblasting of airplanes and jet engines with really course media at 450 miles per hour have never really been field tested, hence their logic for grounding airplanes for “safety” reasons and such unproven science is shaky at best (I want to see a Mythbusters episode on this one.) I feel for the unfortunate travelers who have to endure this untimely natural occurrence, but, for once, am in full support of the scientist’s decision to take a wait-and-see approach on this issue. I enjoy going really fast just as much as the next guy/gal, but if the integrity of the vehicle in which I travel is questionable, or my chances of survival can be unnecessarily compromised, then I can wait – as should most people. For it is much better to be late than never when it comes to life and death.
As for the volcano name, I think it’s pronounced Eh-ya-veh-logue-kh. That’s what I got out of the wiki listening link. Give it a stab and let me know what you come up with.

GMap xml parser error

April 10th, 2010 No comments

From time to time, I like to fiddle with the Google Maps API to help me better visualize our world. While working on a project this morning, I learned that the GXml.parse() function used in combination with the markers[i].getAttribute javascript will throw an error if it encounters an ampersand in the xml list. Long story longer, the problem was identified when an entire xml table was not being displayed on the map, and the bug was traced back to the xml, and not the javascript. I’m sure there are ways to validate the input to ensure no special characters exist that will create issues with the program, but that will have to wait for the next revision. For now, just be wary of special characters in your xml data fields if your stuff doesn’t work.

Categories: Computer-related Tags: